In our laboratories, we determine various characteristic properties of solids and fiber materials. These include dust behavior, particle size and fiber length distribution, the specific and bulk density and the surface size of the material.
To reduce the dust burden on workplaces and the environmental burden the number of dustiness is a helpful and valuable information.
In context of the new development of chemicals, their production routes and the optimization of existing production methods of bulk materials, it is of great importance to determine the dust behavior and the dusting propensity of powdery chemicals and bulk materials. DMT conducts these investigations in accordance with DIN EN 15051-2 and DIN 55992-1. With so-called modified Heubach Test Methods, the inhalable, thoracic and alveolar dust fractions according to EN 481 are classified and gravimetrically determined. Quartz and asbestos determinations are possible, too.
DMT can determine the particle size distribution by different methods. In addition to the classic sieve analysis, we use the laser diffraction method, both dry- and wet-dispersed to measure particle sizes between 0.08 µm and 2000 µm. Wet dispersion makes handling of hazardous substances possible.
Also of importance is the fiber length distribution of natural and polymer fibers, which is determined by microscopic image analysis. This method can also be used to measure particle sizes and to determine its shape.
Further properties of particles such as the specific and bulk density, the humidity and the surface determination (BET analysis) can be measured in our laboratories.
An overview of DMT services:
- Determination of the dust generation tendency acc. to DIN EN 15051-2 & DIN 55992-1
- Determination of inhalable, thoracic and alveolar dust fractions acc. to EN 481
- Determination of humidity
- Quartz- & Asbestos analysis
- Analysis of particle size distribution via sieving (ISO 2591-1), laser diffraction (ISO 13320) or microscopic image analysis
- Analysis of fiber length distribution
- Determination of substance and bulk density
- Specific surface analysis (BET-analysis)
For more information, contact us per phone or per mail.
The basis of these methods are, inter alia, the following standards:
- DIN 66165-1 Particle size analysis - sieve analysis
- DIN EN ISO 8130-13 Powder paints - Particle size analysis by laser diffraction
- ISO 13320:2009-10 Particle size analysis. Laser diffraction methods
- DIN EN 15051-2 Exposure at the workplace - Measurement of the dusting behavior of bulk materials
- Part 2: Rotary drum method DIN 33897-3; Workplace atmosphere - Routine procedure for the determination of the dusting behavior of bulk materials
- Part 3: Dusting in static air
- DIN 33897-3 Workplaces atmospheres – Routine methods for the determination of dustiness of bulk materials- Part 3: Dust production in still air
- DIN 55992-1 Determination of the measurement of the dust development of pigments and fillers
- Part 1: Rotational methods (hay bed method)
- DIN EN 481 Workplaces atmospheres; size fraction definitions for measurement of airborne particles