Rope Testing / Non-destructive Testing
The condition of a rope can not be assessed at first sight. A professional state analysis provides clarity as to whether the relevant rope can still be safely used. On the basis of the results obtained, it is possible to make statements about the durability of the rope.
DMT has more than 100 years of experience in rope testing. Our services start with the production monitoring at the manufacturer, go through the determination of the characteristic values during stress tests in our house right up to the non-destructive testing of the ropes in their installed state on site.
By means of magneto-inductive cable testing (MI), a testing method developed and long-time used by DMT, also the internal condition of steel ropes can be tested for damage. In contrast to the purely visual inspection, also wire breaks within the ropes can be found.
We test moving and stationary cables and wire ropes:
- Hoisting cables
- Crane cables
- Cableway and cable car cables
- Bridge wire ropes
- Stay and anchoring wire ropes
- Offshore wire ropes
We perform state analyzes on site:
- Visual and magneto-inductive tests for external and internal wire breaks, deformations, corrosion and wear
- Ultrasonic tests of hidden areas under rope clamps and in the casting area
- Non-destructive tests on cable displacement constructions such as anchoring rods or tension members and tendons
In addition to ropes, we also check end anchorages and other safety-relevant components, such as flaps, bolts or even rock bolts, which can be tested non-destructively with our test methods as well as directly on site.
In our test center, we determine the following parameters:
- Breaking Forces
- Bending numbers and twisting (single wire tests)
- Stress-rupture behaviour
- Fatigue Limits
- Turning moment and angles of rotation
Testing and measurements are carried out in our accredited DMT Laboratory for Non-destructive and Destructive Testing - Rope Testing Centre.