Cooling, Air Conditioning and Heating Technology
In our test center for refrigeration, air-conditioning and heat technology, we carry out normative and nonstandard performance measurements for manufacturers and operators of machines and components for refrigeration and heating technology. As an independent testing laboratory, we are active in several certification programs for EUROVENT-CERTIFICATION, Paris.
Our audit bases are, among others, the following standards:
- EN 14511
- EN 13053
- EN 1216
- EN 1048
The tests of refrigeration machines, heat pumps, air coolers, condensers, recoolers, heat exchangers (air / liquid and liquid / liquid), air conditioning systems, cooling towers and other air-conditioning systems can be tested on our test stand in Essen or at external locations, e.g. your manufacturing facility or the place of assembly.
“Cool” Testing - Testing laboratory for refrigeration and climate
Reliable data from an independent testing body
Are you looking for a test rig to complement your own testing facilities, on which the performance of your refrigeration machines or individual components can be determined by an independent body. The results of our tests can stand up to legal examination and are therefore of particular importance in connection with consequential product liability.
Test rig performance
Using our multi-functional test rig, we ascertain the actual efficiency of systems and components in refrigeration and air conditioning technology under design conditions, starting from water and air-cooled refrigeration machines, heat pumps and evaporators or condensers, air coolers and liquid heat exchangers, right through to cooling towers, re-coolers and all forms of air conditioning devices.
In particular, air conditioning devices with heat recovery (plate heat exchangers, heat wheels etc.) can also be measured as a second air preparation system is available.
Completely irrespective of what you place on our test rig - we demonstrate the respective performance precisely, whereby varying refrigerants can be used.
Tests over a broad performance range that conform to standards
We carry out tests in a performance range of 5 to approximately 2,500 kW in accordance with your instructions or with relevant standards. Depending on requirements, the water temperature can be set from 1.8 °C to 60 °C. Given the use of brine, the tests can also run at minus temperatures.
The air flow can be conditioned; in this respect, temperatures of between –10 °C and +60 °C are possible. The air humidity can be set over a broad range. The maximum air volume flow available is 60 m³/s (=216,000 m³/h).
Naturally, we are also flexible when it comes to the electrical connection ratings. Amongst other things, the frequency required for the US market is also available.
The capacities of your own testing facilities are not sufficient for comprehensive development-accompanying examinations or are not sufficiently dimensioned in terms of performance. Our test rig is also ideally suited for these tasks, particularly as a high degree of stability of the air and water-side inlet conditions is assured even during long-time tests.
Furthermore, our testing work also provides a secure basis for improving the reliability of performance characteristics and their specific calculation programs. In this way, we make a decisive contribution to your quality assurance.
Naturally, the cost factor also plays an important role: if you have the capacity tests carried out by DMT, you can dispense fully with an own, expensive test rig under certain circumstances or have your test programs carried out in performance ranges that you yourselves cannot realise. There is no need for an expensive extension of the test rig.
Complete recognition thanks to long years of experience
Our experts have decades of experience in performance examinations and tests in the field of refrigeration and air conditioning. The test rig for refrigeration, air conditioning and heat technology is accredited as per DIN EN ISO/IEC 17025. It is not least for this reason that we are recognised by EUROVENT Certification as a testing laboratory.
Apart from the actual testing work in the field of refrigeration and air conditioning, we can also offer you a host of additional services:
- Acoustic measurements as per ISO 3744, ISO 9614
- Testing of ventilation and air conditioning devices for conformity with VDI 6022
- Hygiene inspections
- Hygiene training
- Independent expert reports for refrigeration and air conditioning technology
- Carrying out of complete, on-site performance measurements on installed devices or on the manufacturer’s premises
Technical data of the test rig
- Flow rate on cold water side up to 500 m³/h
- Flow rate on cooling water side up to 500 m³/h
- Temperatures of 1.8 to 60 °C (without glycol), (with glycol also very low temperatures)
1st air side: conditioned air flow rate up to 60 m³/s
2nd air side: conditioned air flow rate up to 10 m³/s
Temperatures from –10 to 60 °C
Relative air humidity at 32 °C up to 95 %
Max. performances of the items tested:
- Water-cooled chiller up to approx. 2,500 kW
- Air-cooled chiller and heat pumps up to approx. 600 kW
- Evaporators (water) up to approx. 1,000 kW
- Evaporators (air) up to approx. 600 kW
- Condenser (water) up to approx. 1,100 kW
- Condenser (air) up to approx. 700 kW
- Cooling towers with conditioned air up to approx. 800 kW (considerably higher performances possible with conditioned water)
- Dry-coolers up to approx. 600 kW
- Heat exchangers (liquid/liquid) up to approx. 1,000 kW
Data of the test hall:
- Usable hall length 18 m, width 5.5 m
- Maximum height of crane hook 7.9 m
- Carrying capacity of the crane 80 kN
- Admissible floor load 35 kN/m²
- Inner dimensions of the climatic chamber (L x H x W) approx. 10 x 3.6 x 5 m
- Electrical connection rating (at 50 Hz) 400 V / 270 kW
- Additional connection ratings, e.g. 500 V, 60 Hz (for the US market), or higher connection ratings can be provided on request